RE: Which query language to use for XML?!

You *would* say that, wouldn't you, Paul :)

Perhaps more practical advice (in terms of current implementations) would be
to use something that claims XQL or XPath support. The problem is that,
whether you like it or not, you probably won't find two implementations of
either (as a standalone query language) that act exactly the same. At least
theoretically, you won't find true interoperability until after XQuery
becomes a Recommendation. The reason I suggest XQL or XPath, as opposed to
XML-QL, is that XQuery's path expressions are closely related to these and
should afford you an easier transition, both semantically and syntactically,
once XQuery becomes ready for prime time. Also note that the draft XPath 2.0
Requirements document states, in section 1.2, that XPath 2.0 "Must Provide
Common Core Syntax and Semantics for XSLT 2.0 and XML Query 1.0". See
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20req

XPath 1.0 is a W3C Recommendation in wide use, within XSLT. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath

XQL is not a W3C work but has a common heritage with XPath. See
http://www.ibiblio.org/xql

Hope this helps,
Evan Lenz
XYZFind Corp.