Re: Quality Tip suggestion: don't say "click here", not everyone will be clicking

From: Hal Goodtree <hal@online-copywriter.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:20:55 -0500
To: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>, NAUD Jean Francois <Jean-Francois.Naud@socgen.com>
CC: <www-qa@w3.org>
Bonjour Jean-Francois, Karl & everyone -

I¹d written last year about the language of linking, specifically about the
use of verbs:

http://online-copywriter.com/wordpress/2007/03/20/dont-click-here-avoid-verb
s/

In a nutshell, the advice about avoiding verbs seems to be outdated. I¹d be
happy to update the entry in QA Tips if there is a perceived need.

Cheers!

Hal

--
Hal Goodtree
Online Copywriter

BLOG:
http://www.online-copywriter.com/wordpress/

> Hi Jean-François,
>
> Le 18 févr. 2008 à 20:20, NAUD Jean Francois a écrit :
>> > why is the use of a verb phrase ( "is not a verb phrase") forbidden ?
>

> to give a bit more context with regards to your request. You are
> talking about
> http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/noClickHere
>

> ======================
> Both of these sentences divulge too much of the mechanics of getting
> the Amaya software. If you want to call your reader to action, use
> something like:
>
>      Get _Amaya_!
>
> Note that "get" is left out of the hypertext; we do not recommend
> putting verb phrases in link text. Thus, rather than:
>
>      _Tell me more_ about Amaya.
>
> You should write:
>
>      Tell me more about _Amaya_: W3C's free editor/browser that lets
> you create HTML, SVG, and MathML documents.
>

> I guess the rationale behind that is that the link as given in the
> example, doesn't start the download but is the actual homepage of Amaya.
>

> --
> Karl Dubost - W3C
> http://www.w3.org/QA/
> Be Strict To Be Cool