Re: Quality Tip suggestion: don't say "click here", not everyone will be clicking

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:58:57 +0100
Cc: <www-qa@w3.org>
To: NAUD Jean Francois <Jean-Francois.Naud@socgen.com>

Hi Jean-François,

Le 18 févr. 2008 à 20:20, NAUD Jean Francois a écrit :
> why is the use of a verb phrase ( "is not a verb phrase") forbidden ?

to give a bit more context with regards to your request. You are
talking about

Both of these sentences divulge too much of the mechanics of getting
the Amaya software. If you want to call your reader to action, use
something like:

     Get _Amaya_!

Note that "get" is left out of the hypertext; we do not recommend
putting verb phrases in link text. Thus, rather than:

     _Tell me more_ about Amaya.

You should write:

     Tell me more about _Amaya_: W3C's free editor/browser that lets
you create HTML, SVG, and MathML documents.

I guess the rationale behind that is that the link as given in the
example, doesn't start the download but is the actual homepage of Amaya.

Karl Dubost - W3C
Be Strict To Be Cool