Re: Quality Tip suggestion: don't say "click here", not everyone will be clicking

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:58:57 +0100
Cc: <www-qa@w3.org>
To: NAUD Jean Francois <Jean-Francois.Naud@socgen.com>

Hi Jean-François,

Le 18 févr. 2008 à 20:20, NAUD Jean Francois a écrit :
> why is the use of a verb phrase ( "is not a verb phrase") forbidden ?

to give a bit more context with regards to your request. You are
talking about
http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/noClickHere

======================
Both of these sentences divulge too much of the mechanics of getting
the Amaya software. If you want to call your reader to action, use
something like:

     Get _Amaya_!

Note that "get" is left out of the hypertext; we do not recommend
putting verb phrases in link text. Thus, rather than:

     _Tell me more_ about Amaya.

You should write:

     Tell me more about _Amaya_: W3C's free editor/browser that lets
you create HTML, SVG, and MathML documents.

I guess the rationale behind that is that the link as given in the
example, doesn't start the download but is the actual homepage of Amaya.

--
Karl Dubost - W3C
http://www.w3.org/QA/