Re: XHTML 1.0 Content-Negotiation

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:58:55 +0300
Cc: www-qa@w3.org
To: Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux <dom@w3.org>

On Aug 19, 2005, at 13:46, Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux wrote:

> Depending on the feedback I get, I'll update
> http://www.w3.org/2003/01/xhtml-mimetype/content-negotiation
> accordingly.

I think the first and foremost problem with that document is that it
fails to establish a practical motivation for serving XHTML 1.0 using
different Content-Types to different browsers. If the page being served
only contains XHTML 1.0 and is displayed adequately in IE when served
as text/html, what is the practical benefit of doing content
negotiation (or using XHTML for that matter)? If you can demonstrate
benefits, do they outweigh the disadvantages?

Henri Sivonen