RE: Proposed Quality Tip -- URI Usability

> > On Mar 26, 2004, at 06:05, Rajasekaran Deepak wrote:
> >
> >> A proposed quality tip, "URI Usability", is attached.
> >>
> >> <http://students.iiit.net/~deepakr/uri-usability/>
> >

> Comments on tip:
>
> 1) "URIs must normally not have extensions"
> goes against much practice ...
> (that's not disagreeing but wanting to see what others say) I
> wonder if stating it more in terms of benefits would be more
> effective.
>
> e.g.
> "On many servers, URIs include a file extension corresponding
> to the mime type, or a directory name indicating the
> language, however, it often works better to exclude the file
> extension and language from the URI and make better use of
> content negotiation."

I'd agree with this.  It strikes me as being too harsh implying that the
well established convention of use of .html (etc) extensions is wrong.  I
think Jeremy's wording is better in encouraging people to do better, rather
than telling them what they've been doing for many years is bad.

Brian

---------------------------------------
Brian Kelly
UK Web Focus