(unknown charset) Re: QA Tips: Make readable URIs

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Dominique [ISO-8859-1] Hazaël-Massieux wrote:

> Le jeu 18/09/2003 à 18:18, Alex Rousskov a écrit :
> >
> > On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Dominique [ISO-8859-1] Hazaël-Massieux wrote:
> >
> > > - one of the principle behind the design of the URIs is that they are
> > > opaque, which means that nothing/nobody should infer anything from the
> > > characters used in the URI; this should be reminded at the very top of
> > > the tip, and maybe the title of the tip should be changed to make that
> > > clearer.
> >
> > Hmm... Will W3C be changing its URI to http://unforgettableuri.net --
> > easy to remember, but otherwise as meaningless (opaque) as you can get
> > with current TLDs? Or does the above design principle apply only to
> > newcomers that were too late to grab meaningful and easy to remember
> > domain names?
>
> The principle that URIs are opaque says what I said it does: do not
> infer anything from the URI.

I thought we were collecting tips for web masters/designers, not for
web users. If you tell the designer "use opaque URIs", then it
contradicts with what W3C is currently doing because W3C URIs are
certainly not opaque (including the QA WG URL).

If this tip is for users (URI readers), it should be re-worded as
such: "do not be fooled by misleading URIs".

Alex.