TA spin-off issues [was Re: Draft Minutes QAWG Telcon Monday 09 June 2003]

My ideas about the three dangling test assertion details:

At 02:39 PM 6/11/03 +0100, Andrew Thackrah wrote:
>[...]
>         Three spin-off issues are identified that should be addressed in
> future meetings:
>
>         1 Priority
>         2 Creator (spec author | test developer )
>         3 Auto-generation (spec->test via formal grammar)

Recall that we are talking about test assertions (TA) in the SpecGL
context, i.e., we resolved that we think there is value to specifications
if some set of test assertions are developed before publication of
Rec.  This is independent of TA considerations that might (will) arise in
the context of TestGL.

Clear and specific "conformance requirements" are of principal importance
in the SpecGL context (and we think they are reflected in GL13).  But there
is also value to having TA developed concurrently.

Priority
-----
CP14.1 and 14.2 are now P2.  Our priority definitions
are:  P1--critical/essential; P2--important/desirable;
P3--useful/beneficial.  I think P2 is right for the SpecGL context, but I
don't feel real strongly.  P3 would work for me also.

Creator
-----
There was a lot of sentiment that there is benefit from having
participation by people *other than* the spec authors.  At least a
collaborative effort.  I would say that "others" is desirable, "authors" is
acceptable.  I would also relegate this detail to SpecET.  SpecGL now says
"provide", and that leaves the who&how wide open.  So I suggest that SpecET
discuss it, recommend "other" or "author-other" collaboration, with
"author" being acceptable (better than nothing).

Auto-generation
-----
I don't feel real strongly.  But I think, in the SpecGL context, that
nothing is lost by exempting auto-generation scenarios.  In the TestGL
context, we could decide (or not) that each test case must have an
associated test assertion, even if one has to be constructed artificially
in between the formal grammar of the spec and the auto-generated test cases.

Regards,
-Lofton.