Re: fixed positioning on http://www.w3.org/2001/06tips/reback

Karl Dubost wrote:

>1. put the menu with a z-index lower than the content so the meta
>will go on top of it... not necessary good too.
>2. remove the menu`
>3. put a fixed width for the content so it pushes the menu on the
>right (IMHO worse for small screen users)
>4. wrap the meta.
>
>What do you prefer?

Number 2:  I don't see much need for a menu that stays visible as the user
scrolls, so my preference would be to remove the special formatting that
keeps it from scrolling.

(Additionally, because the menu box will no longer move relative to the
text, you would no longer need to limit the main text width to reserve
a full column of space on the right the for menu.  If you wanted to, you
could have the wrappable text flow around the menu, filling the whole
width below the menu.

If that makes the text lines become too long to read in a wide browser
window, you could limit the maximum width (with a measurement that is
relative to the final font size) with something like this:

       body { max-width: 40em }

)

Daniel