Re: profiles/modules/levels

From: Mark Skall <mark.skall@nist.gov>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:00:32 -0400
To: Andrew Thackrah <andrew@opengroup.org>
Cc: <www-qa@w3.org>

At 02:32 PM 4/29/2003 +0100, Andrew Thackrah wrote:

>But what if the spec author choses another type of architecture that we
>have not thought of? My argument is about this case. I want to make sure
>that our
>checkpoints address this possibility. At the moment we have specific
>checkpoints for p, m and l. But if someone wants to use a new type of Dov
>called 'personality' or whatever then SpecGL is silent. So I am arguing
>that when we roll the checkpoints into a single GL, we should keep the
>specific checkpoints for the important concepts of p/m/l but ensure that
>we have general checkpoints too.

An implementation can be conformant to SpecGL and include extensions.  If
someone wants to use another form of DOV, they may.  That is a (conformant)
extension.  Since there is no way of pre-determining what kind of DOV (or
any other type of extension) someone may choose to include there is nothing
to gain by having general checkpoints.  The general checkpoint would be