Re: profiles/modules/levels -- 1 of 2

At 13:07 -0600 2003-04-22, Lofton Henderson wrote:
>Next Monday is profiles/modules/levels day.  Here are some thoughts
>of mine, based on recent emails/minutes.

>Summary.  I think that levels and profiles are distinct concepts,
>although W3C doesn't have many (any?) clean, classical definitions
>of leveled technologies.

I agree with that and you took Spec which illustrates that quite
clearly. So I don't think any people in the WG were argueing about
the concepts behind profiles and level.

For me,

Level is a improvement of the technology (successive version, which
are being more and more complete.)

Profiles are more something which is related to the type of
implementations of the Spec. You will do a profile for particular
type of tools, you will do a profile for specific usage, etc.
A profile is something which is optional for a spec I guess.

Now there's the way it has been used everywhere... and here come the mess.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa-wg/2002Aug/0079

--
Karl Dubost / W3C - Conformance Manager
           http://www.w3.org/QA/