Re: Does the QA's RSS news feed work

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:36:12 +0200
To: www-qa@w3.org

Hi Brian,

At 16:57 +0000 2002-09-11, Brian Kelly wrote:
>I added the W3C's QA RSS news feed to a couple of my RSS viewers shortly
>after it was released.  However it has never worked :-(
>
>I've used the Feedreader RSS viewer and also the web-based RSSXpress
>tool at
>http://rssxpress.ukoln.ac.uk/

Is it because the feedreader does not implement UTF-8 ?

Because I have made a test on a machine and when I do the ouput as
iso-8859-1 or us-ascii, feereaders have no problems, but if you do it
as UTF-8 it's getting a lot more difficult.

>Interestingly when I view the file:
>http://www.w3.org/QA/Overview.rss
>in Opera 6.0 and Netscape 7.0 it is displayed in a formatted way whereas
>RSS files which work in my RSS clients are not formatted when I view
>them in a Web browser.

Yes it's an XML stylesheet, but it's not the problem :) For example,
you can also see http://www.w3.org/QA/TheMatrix.xml in Netscape 7
with the same rendering of the XHTML version of The Matrix
http://www.w3.org/QA/TheMatrix.html

>The RSS validator at
>http://aggregator.userland.com/validator
>likes the file although the output from:
>http://www.ldodds.com/rss_validator/1.0/validator.html
>is ambiguous.
>
>It's not clear to be if this is a bug in the RSS parser or in the PSS
>spec.
>
>Any suggestions?

I would say RSS parser for the reasons I said. Encoding. I have sent
also a bug report to NetNewsWireLite
http://ranchero.com/software/netnewswire/

Which has been fixed
http://ranchero.com/bugs/display?bugid=172

but I still don't see the feed. I will explore that Friday.

Thanks for noticing.

--
Karl Dubost / W3C - Conformance Manager
           http://www.w3.org/QA/