Re: Testable assertion tagging for W3C specifications

From: <scott_boag@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 14:20:13 -0400
To: david_marston@us.ibm.com
Cc: www-qa@w3.org

David Marston wrote:
> Based on Alex Rousskov's latest description, I surmise that he is
> proposing:
>
> 1. Spec authors take no special action.

I don't think that's what he was proposing in his last note.  He stated:

> I suggest that both good markup DTDs (or schemas or
> whatever is the right word to use today) are proposed AND that good
> addressing techniques are also proposed.

So Alex and I both agree on this.  'tis good.

He also states that:

> > But it would be nice
> > if a well thought out scheme could be designed and experimented
> > with, and, if it works, evolved over the coming years.
>
> I agree, as long as QAWG can keep "QA Tool Collection" 100% optional.

Which leaves what spec authors do as a matter of education, and the
resulting appetite or non-appetite will decide if special testable
assertion markup gets included.  It means the designers of this mechanism
must sell it, and the consumer must like it and want it.  A reasonable and
good process.

-scott