Glossary Again

From: Mark Skall <mark.skall@nist.gov>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 22:29:20 -0400
To: www-qa@w3.org
Karl,

I just noticed the definition for certification.  Again, I think it's too
limiting.  The one I would recommend (following up on my proposed
validation definition)  is "acknowledgement that a validation was completed
and criteria established by the certifying organization for issuing a
certificate (or branding) has been met."  Again, this and the validation
definition are the ones we've used at NIST and we've published in various
places including the Encyclopedia of Software Engineering.

Mark

Mark Skall
Chief, Software Diagnostics and Conformance Testing Division
Information Technology Laboratory
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8970
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8970

Voice: 301-975-3262
Fax:   301-590-9174