Re: Conformance and Deprecated Features

At 11:39 -0800 2002-01-29, Rob Lanphier wrote:
>  > Again, it's not consistent to require this for standards with deprecated
>>  features when we don't require this, in general.  Deprecated features have
>>  been deprecated for a reason.  I don't believe we should continue to
>>  support features that were proactively withdrawn.
>
>Deprecated != Withdrawn
>
>Deprecated means "hey content authors: this was probably a bad idea, and
>there are better ways of doing this.  Please don't continue to generate
>content in this format".  Hopefully, deprecated features can fade into
>obscurity, at which point, it becomes *safer* to withdraw them.  However,
>it's always very dangerous to withdraw features, for reasons already
>stated.

So a good conformance clause could say:
	A  compliant  user agent to the version X+1 SHOULD implement
deprecated features of version X.
	A compliant authoring tool to the version X+1 MUST NOT
implement deprecated feature of version X.

Does it make sense?

--
Karl Dubost / W3C - Conformance Manager
           http://www.w3.org/QA/