Re: Conformance and Deprecated Features

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Karl Dubost wrote:
> At 10:42 -0800 2002-01-29, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> >SMIL 2.0 has the concept of different SMIL profiles (SMIL Language,
> >XHTML+SMIL, etc.), which are different permutations of modules (Timing,
> >Linking, Layout, etc.).  Handling of deprecated features is on a
> >per-profile basis.  SMIL 2.0 Language user agents are supposed to be
> >designed to be fully backwards compatible with SMIL 1.0 content.
> >Therefore, all deprecated features MUST be supported.
>
> So it's no type a doctype switching mode.
> We can imagine that a user agent behave differently depending on the
> content, when it fetches the DOCTYPE.

In SMIL, we didn't remove deprecated features when the DOCTYPE or 2.0
default namespace is present (the SMIL 2.0 Language spec doesn't do
anything with DOCTYPE other than what XML already specifies; however, it
does convey extra semantics on the root elements default namespace
declaration).

I could agree to a policy where this changes for 3.0, since such a
restriction would not retroactively make documents invalid.  I would still
maintain that full backwards compatibility should be part of the
definition of conformance.

Rob