Re: W3C's XHTML QA plan

From: Shane P. McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:16:10 -0600
To: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
CC: Andrew Thackrah <andrew@opengroup.org>, www-qa@w3.org, Art.Barstow@nokia.com, mimasa@w3.org

Karl Dubost wrote:
> At 10:07 -0600 2002-01-28, Shane P. McCarron wrote:
> >I think you are confused.  This will be public.  However, since you (the
> >W3C) declined to help us build it and showed no interest in its
> >construction, we formed a group to do the work.
> Thanks for this information Shane. :)
> >Karl Dubost wrote:
> >>
> >>  At 09:11 -0600 2002-01-28, Shane P. McCarron wrote:
> >>  >Basically, this means that we will release it to the W3C and its members
> >>  >under a suitable license agreement.  Use of it will be free and
> >  > >unencumbered.  That is what the members of the TDG have agreed, anyway.
> You said "we will release it to the W3C and its members under a
> suitable license agreement". Could you explain a bit this piece?
> When I say public, it's accessible for the public at large not only
> the W3C membership.
> Thanks for your clarifications.

The TDG members have not discussed the possibility of making it
available to non-W3C members.  Our purpose here is to create a test tool
for the benefit of the W3C community, and in particular browser
manufacturers.  If you feel that this must include non-W3C members, I am
sure we can work that out.  Basically, I am continually surprised that
you do not do more for the exclusive benefit of your members...  If
everyone can use everything, then what is the incentive to become a
member?  The WAP Forum restricts their test suite licenses to their
members as a benefit of membership.

In terms of license text, I expect it would look something like the
classic Perl Artistic license, or the classic X Window system license.
These basically say "you can do whatever you want with this, providing
the license remains the same and providing people can still get the
original, classic version".

Shane P. McCarron                     Phone: +1 763 786-8160 x120
Managing Director                       Fax: +1 763 786-8180
ApTest Minnesota                       Inet: shane@aptest.com