Re: W3C's XHTML QA plan

Karl Dubost wrote:

> At 10:07 -0600 2002-01-28, Shane P. McCarron wrote:
> >I think you are confused.  This will be public.  However, since you (the
> >W3C) declined to help us build it and showed no interest in its
> >construction, we formed a group to do the work.
>
> Thanks for this information Shane. :)
>
> >Karl Dubost wrote:
> >>
> >>  At 09:11 -0600 2002-01-28, Shane P. McCarron wrote:
> >>  >Basically, this means that we will release it to the W3C and its members
> >>  >under a suitable license agreement.  Use of it will be free and
> >  > >unencumbered.  That is what the members of the TDG have agreed, anyway.
>
> You said "we will release it to the W3C and its members under a
> suitable license agreement". Could you explain a bit this piece?
> When I say public, it's accessible for the public at large not only
> the W3C membership.
>
> Thanks for your clarifications.

The TDG members have not discussed the possibility of making it
available to non-W3C members.  Our purpose here is to create a test tool
for the benefit of the W3C community, and in particular browser
manufacturers.  If you feel that this must include non-W3C members, I am
sure we can work that out.  Basically, I am continually surprised that
you do not do more for the exclusive benefit of your members...  If
everyone can use everything, then what is the incentive to become a
member?  The WAP Forum restricts their test suite licenses to their
members as a benefit of membership.

In terms of license text, I expect it would look something like the
classic Perl Artistic license, or the classic X Window system license.
These basically say "you can do whatever you want with this, providing
the license remains the same and providing people can still get the
original, classic version".

--
Shane P. McCarron                     Phone: +1 763 786-8160 x120
Managing Director                       Fax: +1 763 786-8180