Re: W3C Unified Glossary/Dictionary : gathering requirements

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:01:18 +0900
To: Brian Kelly <b.kelly@ukoln.ac.uk>
Cc: www-qa@w3.org
On Fri, Feb 15, 2002, Brian Kelly wrote:

Hello Brian,

>    My particular interest is in rigourous definition of terms associated
> with usage statistics for Web sites.  For example what is a "page", what
> is a "user", what is a "unique user", what is a "hit", what is a
> "session", etc.

I think this is perfectly in the scope of the glossary project.

>     Would the QA group wish to address the rigourous standardisation of
> such terms (I know the Web Characterisation acrtivity did some work in
> this acrtivity but that was several years ago)? Or would it wish to take
> a ligher weight approach, perhaps by referring to the definitions used
> by these other groups?

This is definitely something worth discussing.

I think and hope we can find some middle ground. Standardization on
terms seems out of scope for the moment, and we will probably start with
gathering existing definitions from different sources and contexts.

I hope that in many cases, the group will be able to reach consensus on
a "prefered" definition, although (obviously) in some cases it won't be
possible to choose one definition for every context.

Regards,
--
Olivier