Re: conformance vs. compliance

From: Mark Skall <mark.skall@nist.gov>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 13:26:36 -0400
To: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>, Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Cc: Lofton Henderson <lofton@rockynet.com>, <Art.Barstow@nokia.com>, <www-qa@w3.org>

>"That's the word we use."
>
>         That does not explain why others should us it.

In my opinion, it does.  We (QA) are setting guidelines for conformance,
testing, etc.  There's no right or wrong answer wrt to terminology but
"standardization" is essential.  We are setting the "standard" within
W3C.  Someone has to pick a consistent term and we're the most logical
group to do so.

Mark Skall
Chief, Software Diagnostics and Conformance Testing Division
Information Technology Laboratory
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8970
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8970

Voice: 301-975-3262
Fax:   301-590-9174