Re: conformance vs. compliance

From: Lofton Henderson <lofton@rockynet.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 09:14:04 -0600
To: Art.Barstow@nokia.com, <www-qa@w3.org>

At 10:47 AM 8/9/02 -0400, Art.Barstow@nokia.com wrote:

>Does the QA WG consider the terms "conformance" and "compliance"
>interchangeable?
>For example does the WG (and its tech reports) consider these two assertions
>equivalent:
>
>  1. My implementation is 100% compliant  with specification A
>  2. My implementation is 100% conformant with specification A
>
>If these assertions are not equivalent, what's the difference?

I rarely use "compliance" or "compliant", for a couple of reasons.  First,
in my experience,  it has been abused so much in marketing claims and hype
that I have a bias against it.  Second, I'm not sure what its definition is.

I don't think QAWG has discussed it or taken a position.  If it is
synonymous with Conformance, then why define and use it?  I.e., there is a
lot to be said for consistent terminology.  If it is different ... does
anyone want to offer a definition?

>Perhaps compliance should be added to:
>
>  http://www.w3.org/QA/glossary

Are you interested to propose a definition?  (Note the invitation in the
first paragraph of the Glossary.)

Cheers,
-Lofton.