Re: Outsourcing in QA and Testing

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:05:45 +0200
To: Brian Kelly <b.kelly@ukoln.ac.uk>
cc: "'Vijay Sikka'" <vsikka@nirixa.com>, www-qa@w3.org

Hello Brian

> One comment that I would make is that there is
> a need for standardisation on terminology and approaches to QA and
> testing in order that testing is independent of the company carrying out
> the testing or the tools they use.

Remember the old Web Characterization Activity ?
 http://www.w3.org/1999/05/WCA-terms/

Would that be of any use ?

>     I'm be interested to know if standardised methodologies for Web site
> testing is within the scope of this list.

There is some work going on glossary for QA, Olivier I think is
tracking that.

> I joined the list as this was
> my main interest, and then found that that the QA group focussed at the
> QA of Web *standards and procotols* and not *Web sites*.

Quality of Web content is in scope, but it's limited to compliace with
our standards (format syntax/semantics, accessibility) and usability
is not on W3C radar for now, and I'm not sure that isn't what you're
talking about.

> If Web site
> testing is out-of-scope, I think it would be useful if the W3C QA Web
> site (and list) provided pointers to relevents fora and resources in
> this area.

What exactly is Web site testing for you ?
Is validator.w3.org doing Web site testing ?