Re: Umbrella Specifications Discussion

From: Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:04:21 +0200
To: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Cc: "'www-qa-wg@w3.org'" <www-qa-wg@w3.org>
Le mercredi 15 juin 2005 ŗ 11:45 -0400, Karl Dubost a ťcrit :
> Le 05-06-15 ŗ 10:54, Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux a ťcrit :
> > But I can't tell at this point why we are introducing the concept of
> > "umbrella specification" since I don't know what we're trying to
> > explain
> > about them or what we're trying to convey through them.
>
> Usability.

If I understand correctly, you're saying that we should convey somewhere
that umbrella specifications are good for usability when there are more
than one documents involved in defining a technology. Is that right?

> > Well, I see that you want this as a user, but how does this fit in
> > Variability in Specifications? What are the advanced topics regarding
> > variability and/or conformance that need to be made about these
> > types of
> > specifications?
>
> Ok that is clearer ;) Here there are two issues and we are not
> discussing the same ;)
>
>      * What do we mean by "Umbrella Specification" and why it's useful?
>      * Should "Umbrella Specification" concept be in a document which
> is addressing variability in specifications?

Yup; but at this point, since I don't see where Umbrella specs fit in
ViS, I don't know where it fits at all in our documents. Do you have any
suggestion?