Re: Document License prohibits profiles?

From: Lofton Henderson <lofton@rockynet.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 09:20:46 -0700
To: Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Cc: www-qa-wg@w3.org

One more comment...

At 09:05 AM 11/4/2004 +0100, Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux wrote:
>Le jeu 04/11/2004 ŗ 00:18, Lofton Henderson a ťcrit :
>[prohibiting profiles] ...I think it's also one of the goals of
>the Document License (i.e. I don't think W3C want other groups to take a
>part of its specifications and do something that would go against the
>spirit of the spec).

Who is the arbiter of "spirit of the spec"?  The WG?

And what criteria can it use to measure "spirit of the spec"?  Can it make
value judgements about the intended use?  Moral judgements (e.g.prohibit
Dept. of Homeland Security from making an anti-terrorism profile of
SVG)?  Or purely limited to technical criteria (profile is well formed and
valid according to some rules)?  Can it prohibit profiling/subsetting
altogether?

This seems like a slippery slope, if the answers are 'yes' to any of the
questions other than defining what is a well-formed and/or valid profile.

Btw, the Document License and associated FAQ do not even appear to grant
such latitude to the WG.  It says, " if additional requirements (documented
in the Copyright FAQ) are satisfied, the right to create modifications or
derivatives is sometimes granted by the W3C to individuals complying with
those requirements."  The FAQ does not imply that profiling is one of the
areas of latitude.

(I'll put the question to site policy now, and also onto IG list as Lynne
suggested.)