Re: Document License prohibits profiles?

From: <david_marston@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:46:01 -0500
To: www-qa-wg@w3.org

LH>I think a profile is certainly a derivative work of its base standard
LH> -- it defines a subset of the base standard.  Is it a derivative in
LH>the sense of the Document License?  I don't know.

IANAL and I don't know definitively either, but I lean toward the profile
*not* being a derivative work. It is not standing in place of the base
document. An SVG profile seems to be about defining a combination of
features offered by SVG (supplemented by extensions in some cases?) for
a particular application. In other words, SVG specifies behavior and
offers implementation choices; the profile collects a set of choices.
The ideas being expressed are complementary, whereas I would expect a
derivative work to be expressing the same idea as the base.
.................David Marston