CoP vs. Profile vs. ....

From: Lofton Henderson <lofton@rockynet.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:40:24 -0700
To: www-qa-wg@w3.org

David (& everyone) --

As input to its current f2f meeting, I'm trying to make a contribution to
SVG to help sort out (for SVG1.2) a messy situation involving lots of
DoV.  I have a question that I'd like your feedback on (by CoB today, if
possible).

SVG1.1 defines conformance for viewers [1], in some "sub-categories":

a.)  Conforming Static SVG Viewers
b.)  Conforming Dynamic SVG Viewers
c.)  Conforming High-Quality Static SVG Viewer
d.)  Conforming High-Quality Dynamic SVG Viewer

So we have four kinds of viewers, generated by two orthogonal axes
(static/dynamic, and low/high quality).

My initial thought was to designate these as 4 classes of product
(CoP).  The seem to fit SpecGL's generic definition of CoP at [2].  Then I
try to classify them according to our enumeration at [3].  Problem:  I
don't understand the brief abstract definitions at [3] well enough apply
them to a-d above.  (Recommendation:  we *really* need a lot of stuff in
SpecET, or else a Quick Tips linked from SpecET, that disambiguates and
helps people apply this concept.)

Can you suggest a classification of a-d according to [3]?  E.g., #a--3rd
bullet, #b--5th bullet, etc.

Although all 4 seemed to me to be CoP (at least the way they're treated in
the Conformance Clause [1]), it then occurred to me:  maybe #a & #c are two
profiles (or levels?) of the same CoP (SVG static viewer), and #b & #d are
two profiles of another CoP (SVG dynamic viewer).

Then it occurred to me:  maybe all #a, #b, #c, #d are 4 profiles of a
single CoP (SVG viewer).

There are lots of ways to parse it!  (And ... it is not a trivial task to
apply SpecGL/ET to a complex conformance problem!)

What do you think?

-Lofton.

p.s.  I singled out David because he drafted a lot of the CoP stuff.  But
I'd be happy to hear from anyone/everyone.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/conform.html#ConformingSVGViewers
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/CR-qaframe-spec-20031110/definitions#definitions
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/CR-qaframe-spec-20031110/concepts#spec-cat-cop