Re: Question on Developing Test Assertions

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 16:07:59 -0500
To: www-qa-wg@w3.org

Le 04 févr. 2004, à 15:04, Patrick Curran a écrit :
> The masses don't read specs. They are read be implementors of the
> technology and by people developing tests of those implementations.

Unfortunately it's not exactly true depending on the technology. The
masses do read the specifications for many reasons:

	- history: Web technologies has developped at the begining because
common people were looking at the technology to be able to do something
with it.
	- lack of tutorial: Many of the W3C specs lack of tutorials, practical
guides, etc and/or the books available in the bookshops may have...
(hmm hmm) certains deficiencies.
	- Access: W3C Specs are freely accessible, people are curious, they
want to read it.

PS: Another point, we didn't approach, but I put it as a small note.
People like to read in their own language, so specs written in English
for a none English native developer are very hard to read.
AND spec are very hard to translate because of given examples which are
tied to a culture, because of concepts which translate not very well in
another language and worse, sometimes the technology is culturally
oriented like RDF (use of english (western) grammar for the technology
[predicat, subject, object]) but we have to live with that ;)

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***