issue #19

QAWG participants,

I strongly disagree with the proposal to reverse the current (pre-Tokyo)
disposition of issue #19 [5].

Synopsis
-----

In April, issue 19 was resolved that per-Framework glossary sections were
not needed.  In July, after several months of Framework spec development
and a few publication cycles, at a teleconference with all lead editors
present, the editors decided that in fact per-Framework definition sections
were appropriate and necessary.  This decision was circulated to the QAWG
and independently to "stakeholders" for comment and discussion.

The basic reasons are articulated in ref [3a] below.  To summarize:

1.) With the aggressive publication schedules, it is not possible to
coordinate with QA Glossary (esp. for new terms).

2.) In any case, some terms may not be appropriate for the general QA Glossary.

3.) Appropriate terms may eventually migrate into QA Glossary, with an
appropriate definition for that document.

4.) It is appropriate and desirable in a per-Framework "Definitions"
section to supplement and expand upon the generic, terse QA Glossary
definitions, in the style of some of the WAI guidelines documents.  This
allows for contextual, functional, and exemplary information, that relates
the term to the context of the particular framework document.

The per-Frm definitions should operate under constraints.

** they do not contradict QA Glossary;

** they reference any existing QA Glossary term;

** they are clear about supplementing, not replacing any QA Glossary term;

On the last, see the general caveat at the start of chapter 6,
"Definitions" [4], in the current SpecGL draft.  Note that the title
"Definitions" was deliberate, in order to prevent any possible confusion
with the QA Glossary.

References & History documented
-----
[0] Resolved in April, "don't need per-Framework glossary"
[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa-wg/2002Jul/0005.html  (changed
at editor's telecon (for TestGL, but all lead editors present).
[2]  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa-wg/2002Aug/0149.html
(message to QAWG indicating changed resolution issue 19)
[3a] 3-sept message to Dominique, lead editors, glossary owners
(unarchived, see below)
[3b] Dominique reply to [3a] (unarchived, see below), to same list
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-qaframe-spec-20020826/#definitions
[5] http://www.w3.org/QA/WG/qawg-issues-html#x19

Regards,
-Lofton.

Unarchived messages amongst Frm and glossary editors...

[3a] ##### unarchived direct message, 3-sept #####