Re: Proposed 6/27 (Thurs) telcon agenda

At 06:25 PM 6/25/02 -0400, Mark Skall wrote:
>I looked at the assignments matrix [2] and I don't think it reflects what
>we decided at Montreal and what's cited in the minutes.
>
> From the minutes: "It was agreed that the best way to get this
> accomplished is for each wg member do a case study, then an enumeration
> of techniques that satisfy the checkpoints, for one of our documents
> (rather than case studies for three documents)."

I didn't notice this in the minutes -- I think its inaccurate.  As I
remember it, we did decide to do one "exercise" for each of the three, Ops,
Spec, Test.  "Exercise" consisted of a case study *plus* an enumeration.

The reason I remember it this way:  the initial motivation was two-fold --
to give each WG member direct experience using the GL; and to generate case
studies for content for the Extech parts.

>In other words we decided NOT to do case studies for all three documents,
>but to only do case studies for one document, but in addition, to do an
>enumeration of techniques that satisfy the checkpoints for that document.

There are two problems with doing both bits on only one document:  with the
number of QAWG members, we don't get much content to help build the Extech;
and, it doesn't help with the primary motivation of getting thoughtful
exposure of the QAWG people to what's actually in *each* of our GL documents.

The downside is:  more work for QAWG members.  But this is a matter of 4
hours per document for a case study, from my experience.  Probably double
that for adding a techniques enumeration.  And that would (for most people)
be spread over the next 3-5 months.

>If you recall, the intent was to be able to deliver Examples and
>Techniques documents that reflect the correct way to adhere to the
>guidelines rather than examples of how it has been done.

Rather than replace the case studies, I thought we were agreeing to *add*
the techniques to the case studies -- option #2 of Issue 67 [1].  It could
be, in a future refined version, that we might reduce or consolidate the
case stufy stuff.

>Right now the matrix says "each member of the QA Working Group has to
>review a working group using the QA Ops Guidelines, a specification using
>the QA Spec Guidelines (once it's ready for real use), and a test suite
>using the (to be published) QA Tests Guidelines."

>Thus, 1) it doesn't mention the enumeration of techniques exercise and 2)
>it still refers to three guidelines, rather than one.

We can sort it out on Thursday.

-Lofton.