From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 3:26 PM
To: www-qa-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Ops Guidelines Issue

I have some thoughts now about how we could approach Issue #60.  I'll
omit
detail for now, and focus on the overview:

Overview&Proposal
--------

Guideline 1 and Guideline 2 are all stated in terms of "In Charter,...",
so
they are apparently only applicable to new groups.  But we say in 1.3,
and
I believe that it is our intent, that *all* groups have QA
responsibility
-- new WG, WG in progress on first Rec, WG finished first Rec and
working
on subsequent one.

If this latter principle were agreed, then we should reword Gd.1, Gd.2,
and
their checkpoints.  They would not say "In charter", but rather their
wording would be applicable to all groups.  Then in two places we could
say
how it affects groups in various stages, and how the various WGs satisfy

the checkpoint:

1.) in the descriptive prose following each guideline and checkpoint;

2.) and, in Ops-Extech we would distinguish and describe how WGs at
different stages satisfy the checkpoint:  new groups, "In charter";
other
groups ... (some other way, e.g., minuted resolution in face-to-face or
teleconference, etc).

Underlying Issue
-------

The real question that needs to be answered before we implement such a
proposal is:  do we (QAWG) intend to assert that existing WGs have some
QA
responsibilities, i.e., are ultimately responsible for production and
existence of test materials related to their standards?  Or do we, as
now,
intend to write prescriptions (re. commitment and resource allocation)
only
for new WGs and advise the rest to "review and consider incorporating
...etc..." (current sec 1.3).  This might be a delicate question -- an
existing WG may feel that, when its charter was approved, it had a
contract
for the scope of its work and required deliverables.

Any thoughts on this?

-Lofton.

[issue#60] http://www.w3.org/QA/WG/qawg-issues-html.html#x60