Re: HTTP/1.1 suggestions?

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:06:11 PDT
To: Arthur van Hoff <avh@marimba.com>
CC: Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com>, Push Workshop <www-push@w3.org>
> Hi Jim,

> Can you give me an idea on the likelihood that any
> changes can be made to the HTTP/1.1 specification?

Jim's out of town for a week, so I'll answer for him:

Any changes to the HTTP/1.1 specification require the consensus
of the HTTP working group and the HTTP implementation community,
and the likelihood of making the change is directly proportional
to the likelihood of getting that consensus. In addition, we're
somewhat constrained by the fact that we basically cannot make
any incompatible changes that are inconsistent with what is already
deployed, or mandate any new behavior that was not mandated before.

Lots can still happen to HTTP under those ground rules, though.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter