No field of use

From: Xavier Servettaz <xav@zoy.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 00:58:59 -0500
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

Hi !

As a software developper, I would like to share with you my opinion
about your "RF patent policy".

I share the opinion of the Free Software Fundation :
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/w3c-patent.html

Because the "RF patent policy" would NOT permit to develop Free
(software) implementations of the W3C standards, I would suggest that
you remove any "field of use" restrictions to your policy. Why do
standard if they cannot be used by everyone ?

I'd add that the open source community has always encouraged and
promoted your work.

--
Xavier Servettaz
(Montreal - Canada)