Re: Royalty-free patent policy last-call draft

From: Irvin Shizgal <irvins@exmsft.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 22:01:39 +0000
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

In the draft document published at

 http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-patent-policy-20021114/

in section 3, condition 3, states that patents which are part of the standard
may be licensed royalty free with strict limitations that restrict their
(royalty-free) use to "what is *required* by the recommendation".

I object to this condition.

I believe this is essentially a sleeper condition that will prove to have much
graver consequences than at first appears. IBM and Microsoft and the like
won't be affected, but the implications could be severe for the free
software/open source movement. The contributions of this community over the
years has been so large and influential that I consider it to be important
that its continued development not be hindered.

Irvin Shizgal
B.Math., M.Sc.
irvins@exmsft.com