W3 Consortium "Royalty-Free" Patent Policy

From: patrick leonard <leonardp@chez.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 21:07:44 +0100
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

Hello,

I feel concerned by the current Last Call draft, which proposes the
adoption of a "royalty-free" policy  but with "field of use" restrictions.
I don't understand why you add "field of use" restrictions within this
draft.
In favor of the widest extension of web standards nothing must restrict
the standard to a particular field of use.
I suggest that you amend the policy to prohibit the imposition of "field
of use" restrictions on patent claims contributed to W3C standards.

Best regards
P Leonard
France