Re: Restrictive Patent Usage

From: Dan Kegel <dank@kegel.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 19:14:15 -0800
To: coriordan@compsoc.com
Cc: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

coriordan@compsoc.com wrote:
>   Your draft policy only requires patents to be
> made available royalty-free for a specified
> "field of use".  This can create a situation whereby
> I may use your standards in only one area of computer
> science thus restricting my freedom to write software.
>
>   The software (and documentation) that I write is
> released as Free Software (under the GNU GPL).  My
> hope is create software that everyone can use for
> any purpose be they wealthy or not.
>
>   In order to write Free Software I must avoid the
> use of patent restricted technologies.  To allow
> me, and the thousands (or millions?) of Free
> Software programmers to continue writing software
> that makes use of the best technologies, please
> consider ammending the draft to require all
> patents to be royalty-free without restriction.

Hi Ciaron,
I suspect this is one of the compromises that allowed
the royalty free policy to pass.  The fact that
neither side is completely happy with the compromise
is perversely a good sign that perhaps it was a fair
deal.  Although I am also a staunch advocate of Free Software,
I support the W3C's draft patent policy because
I am also a pragmatist.  The compromise is acceptable
to me.

Cheers,
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com