Delighted!

From: Eric Kidd <eric.kidd@pobox.com>
Date: 19 Nov 2002 18:14:00 -0500
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

I am delighted to hear that the W3C has responded to the web community's
enormous concern over "RAND" licensing, and chosen to pursue a strict
royalty-free licensing policy.

I work for an academic group that produces distance-learning software.
Our policy, budget and strategy prevent us from using patented
protocols.  From our perspective, RAND licensing is both unreasonable
and highly-discriminatory, because it erects barriers against academic
and open-source implementations of basic protocols.

The W3C's choice to pursue royalty-free licensing will promote the
vibrant growth of the web and the continued relevance of the W3C.

My many thanks.

Sincerely,
Eric Kidd