Regarding patents in w3c specifications...

From: Jack Troughton <jake@consultron.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:13:15 -0500
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

I'd like to add my input on this issue. I strongly feel that any
patented technology included in w3c specs be available on a royalty free
basis. I myself do web development on an obscure platform (OS/2) and it
would not be possible for me to do so if I had to start paying royalties
on the technologies.

This, of course, is because I don't do it for money, I do it to help out
my fellow warpers:) I should point out that I am far from the only
person who does this sort of thing.

So, I can tell you that if royalties suddenly became due, it would
probably render our platform untenable overnight as it's unlikely that I
(or others) would be able to continue development if we had to start
paying people to use the things we've been using all along.

Regards,

Jack

* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *
* http://consultron.ca                         irc.ecomstation.ca *
* Laval Québec Canada                   news://news.consultron.ca *