Limits based on Field of Use

From: Zenaan Harkness <zen@getsystems.com>
Date: 11 Dec 2002 09:18:54 +1100
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

If I produce software incorporating a W3C standard that prohibits use in
a particular field, then presumably those restrictions would have to be
passed on to my users.

I would be unwilling to do that.

When I write software, I look at the incredible wealth of GPL-licensed
software and libraries available to me, so the I _don't reinvent the
wheel_! If a W3C standard is incompatible with such licensing, such a
standard will automatically alienate a huge code base, and a large
developer base.

That would be, quite clearly, unacceptable.

Sincerely,
Zenaan

--
Mr Zenaan Harkness, Manager, VIDC
Phone: +678 25 151  Fax: +678 25 178  Mobile: +678 45 179