BEA comments on W3C RF Patent Policy

From: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 13:02:56 -0800
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>

1. The term "Royalty-Free" should be removed from the title.

2. There should be provision for an early working draft to be the basis for
exclusions.  It seems to me that Requirements is really early and Last Call
is pretty late. A solution of something with a different timing scheme, like
"6 months after first WD publication" or a specialized WD "The Patent
Declaration WD" aka "First Call" or "The 3rd WD should be a Patent
Disclosure timing event".  I would set a time-out of a year after the
formation of the WG for the specified working draft.  And the WG should
decide which version is complete enough for IP reasons.  This, backed with
the timeout, gives sufficient process to ensure that a reasonably complete
and timely spec would be usable.

Cheers,
Dave Orchard
BEA Systems