Opposed to Patent Policy

From: Kenn Munro <kenn@kenn-michelle.ca>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 22:48:29 -0400 (EDT)
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
I find it outrageous that the W3C is considering supporting patents in its
standards.  As a web developer, I look to the W3C specifications/standards
to ensure that my work will be available on the maximum number of
browsers/platforms.  By promoting patented technologies, you run the risk
of causing discrimination against certain users: either because they can't
afford the patent royalties or simply don't want to pax a "web tax" to
major corporations.

I'm sure the companies behind this push would love to see it become a
reality, but who's interests should you be looking out for: theirs, or the
common user's?

Kenn Munro
Canada