Royalty-Free should be required

From: Kevin Dangoor <kdangoor@webelite.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 22:28:04 -0400
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
    I understand that the attempt of the new Patent Policy is to clarify the
W3C's handling of patented technology and to enable access to the broadest
range of technologies. However, I believe that the Internet has flourished
specifically because the standards involved have been free to be implemented
by any groups that wish to implement them, including those who develop free
software. Patents can cause a splintering in the technology because of the
thousands of developers involved in writing free software, as we have seen
with the development of Ogg Vorbis (to get around the MP3 patent) and PNG
(to get around the GIF patent).

    In order to make the official standards available to as wide an audience
as possible, I urge you require that all W3C Recommendations require
Royalty-Free access. This would ensure that the standards stay meaningful
and have the highest possible chance of successful adoption.

Sincerely,

Kevin Dangoor
Assistant Director of Development
Web Elite