Patent Policy

From: D Tuinstra <tuinstra@northnet.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 20:41:19 -0400
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I have heard of your policy only hours before the
comment deadline.  It has hit the major web news
site only in the last day or two.  This could only
have happened had there been a careful and conscious
decision to keep the matter out of the public eye ...
already one smells a rat.

I for one do not wish to see a world in which the WWW
infrastructure incorporates fee- or royalty-based
patents regardless of who "blesses" them.  That such
blessing is under consideration by the W3C is a shame
and a scandal.

Rip up the proposal and any others like it.  Suggest to
the people who drafted it that they go find useful
things to do with their time.  Apologize to the world
for ever considering such a betrayal of our trust, and
put in place safeguards to prevent it from happening
again.

  --Dwight Tuinstra
    tuinstra@northnet.org