Any fee is discriminatory

From: Mats Palmgren <Mats.Palmgren@mailbox.swipnet.se>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 02:38:40 +0200
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Dear Patent Policy Working Group:

As a software developer who works with W3C standards on a daily basis,
I urge you not to loosen the W3C policies regarding consideration of
patented technologies.
Open standards must remain just that - open to _all_, regardless of
ability to pay.

The "reasonable and non-discriminatory" concept is a red herring.
As we strive to extend the benefits of digital communication to the
entire world,
it should be clear that in a world where patent laws and financial
resources vary widely,
the only "reasonable and non-discriminatory" fee structure is zero.

Thank you for your consideration.

/M