Comment re. allowing patented technologies

From: Jan C. Zawadzki <jcz@geniesystems.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 12:30:43 +1200
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
As a technical director of a Web development shop I am adamantly opposed
to allowing Web "standards" endorsed by W3C to be covered by patents
regardless of their breadth or terms.

The interrelated nature of many of the W3C standards makes it likely
that future, tangentially-related technologies would become inaccessible
on the whims of some patent holder.  Just as we are not publishing
entire Web sites with PDF or Flash technologies, we would stay clear of
any technologies that can be controlled by third parties, however
benevolent they might seem.  If Adobe, Macromedia or Microsoft want to
push their technologies, let THEM do it.  Don't sell out.

Jan C. Zawadzki
Genie Systems Ltd. New Zealand