Fee-bound patents

From: dan <dank@ihug.com.au>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 09:45:14 +1000
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I just read on Slashdot that you intend to take a much 'friendlier'
stance on fee-bound patents being included in W3C standards.
This is a very bad thing indeed, and smells like someone (or a large
group of people) in the the W3C is getting a few kick-backs to help make
this happen.
As the internet is a global communications medium, the position of those
/not /able to pay continual licensing fees (and subsidise your bribes)
should be taken into account.
The internet is not there for the few to make more
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ from, at the expense of others' ability
to access / disseminate information.
I suggest you abandon this idiotic stance, and support standards which
truely benefit everyone, and not just patent holders / yourselves.

Dan