NO to proposed RAND patent policy

From: Hans Ridder <ridder@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 15:18:12 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
No to RAND. Just plain no.

The "explosive growth" of the Web that everyone likes to talk about
would never have occurred had the specifications been dependent on
licensed technology, even if RAND. Suggestions that the Web is somehow
changing and needs to entertain the use of licensed technology are
completely unjustified. I suspect we're simply hearing the voices of the
member companies wanting to build standards around their proprietary
licensed technology.

If W3C still think this is a good idea, then I submit that the W3C has
lost its compass, and will soon find itself irrelevant to the Web and
Internet community.

-hans
--
Hans-Gabriel Ridder