Royalty-Bound Patents

From: Julian Coombes <julianc@aquarius-solutions.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 23:10:41 +0100
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I run a small software business where we rely on W3C standards as a
means of reaching the widest possible audience and pointing people in
"the right direction".

I strongly object to royalty bound patents as it could effectively put
my company out of business by restricting access to "Open" standards.

Indeed, the fact that the proposal has progressed so far in such a
clandestine fashion, seems to indicate that the W3C has serious problems
that need to be sorted out ... like understanding why it was formed in
the first place.

I fully support the view of Linux developer Alan Cox in his comments on
the subject.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-patentpolicy-comment/2001Sep/0131.html

Please don't undermine the ideals that W3C stands for by being
manipulated by an apparently small number of large companies.

Throw out this proposal!

Julian Coombes
Director
Aquarius Solutions Ltd