Comment

From: Andy Scholz <andy.scholz@exodelta.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 09:24:30 +1200
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I have for a long time used W3C recommendations as a baseline for
development, and I have the greatest respect for what the W3C has
acheived, not only for those of us that develop software, but also for
everyone that uses it.

But I am extremely concerned that any proposal that allows
patented/royalty-due specifications to even be considered as being
published as part of a standard (recommendation) simply undermines all
that I have come to understand the W3C is all about - to the point where
I will have to rethink wether recommendations published by the W3C are
actually 'standards' or not.

I think it is critical for all of us, that everyone developing or using
software, free or otherwise, has a constant and freely available
reference for interoperability that is not tainted, or indeed
controlled, by any organizations proprietary interests.

I strongly urge you to rethink what I consider to be a totally
unacceptable proposition.

Regards,
Andy Scholz
Independent Software Developer