Please don't allow patents into standards

From: Matthew Boulos <twig-man@home.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 17:12:07 -0400
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
Dear W3,

The power, usefulness, and practicality of the standards set forth by your
consortium has been the ability for anyone, anywhere, to implement them.
There has never been any reliance on a third party in order to implement
your standards. This has allowed for easy adoption and expansion into
unexpected areas. If we consider the value of free software, and its very
strong dependence on your standards, it will be rather obvious that allowing
patents will hold back the industry more than it will assist.

Please consider this very strongly, as my view is shared by many, and I hope
that it is taken into consideration.

Yours truly,
Matthew Boulos