comments on your patent policy

From: Graydon Hoare <graydon@redhat.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 17:10:39 -0400
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
as a free software developer, I must indicate my strong disapproval
for your adoption of "RAND" licensing policy within your standards.

web standards must remain free, if they are to be accepted as
standards at all. accepting non-free intellectual property within
your documents reduces your legitimacy to that of a PR agency for
the companies involved; your standards will rapidly lose any
air of group consensus they may already have attained, and the
web will fragment mercilessly as a result.

I emplore you to reconsider this course of action.

-graydon hoare
 <graydon@pobox.com>

(note: this email represents my own opinion on the matter, not necessarily
 that of my employer. though I'd be surprised if any of them disagreed)