RAND Licensing

From: Grant Robinson <santiago@mr-r.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 14:00:53 -0600
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
Please do not take away from the freedom and openness of the web.  Causing
companies or organizations to pay royalties to implement public, free, open
standards will have a disastrous effect on the development of quality
software.  Where would we be today if Mosaic (which started out as a
university project) had been forced to pay royalties to implement the first
versions of HTML.  Where would we be if C/C++ compiler writers had to pay to
write their compiler.  Free (as in speech and beer), open standards are to
the benefit of everyone.  I have developed software in my spare time, much
of which touches upon the reccomendations of one standards body or another.
I would not have been able to do so if I would have had to pay a fee to be
able to use a certain standard.  I have always respected the W3C for it's
commitment to free, open standards.  Please do not destroy all that you have
stood for.

Grant Robinson
Solutions Engineer
NextPage Inc.