W3C: why are you fighting against your old friends?

From: Chessy <chessy@euskalnet.net>
Date: 30 Sep 2001 21:35:49 +0200
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Dear W3C:

	I have just read in LinuxToday and Barrapunto (two great Open Source
weblogs) an article about your new RAND license terms, and as many
people around technology world I am sad. I can't understand why this
philosophical turn.  The open source community has always supported
W3C's web standards and has always worked very hard to implement and
improve such standards.	Now, this community is very worried about W3C's
new RAND license terms, and  of course, is not agree.

   To make web standards license fees is similar to kill all open source
and free software intiatives and working efforts regarding the web, and
is similar to give all the power and facilities to closed source
companies.

	I would like to finish this brief letter asking you to drop RAND
proposal, and in the process, remember that this movement will help to
the open source community. The community that has always been in your
side.

	Juanan Pereira Varela
	chessy@diariolinux.com